She is my inspiration.
This fund was created in the memory of Amy Hurn by her family, friends and colleagues as a lasting reminder of her commitment to education.
What is The Amy Hurn Scholarship Fund?
Every year, the fund provides financial assistance Vancouver public high school students who wish to pursue science education at the post-secondary level. Recipients of The Amy Hurn Scholarship Fund receive $1,300 toward the cost of their tuition and fees (payments of $650 will be made directly to the post secondary institution in August and January), and are welcome to re-apply each year.
Who is eligible?
Students attending public school from Vancouver School Board are required to shall:
- Demonstrate a need for financial support;
- Have an academic record indicating their ability to pursue their chosen area of study;
- Be involved in their local community with a history of volunteering, membership in youth groups, or actively involved in environmental and/or social issues;
- Intend to pursue a program in the sciences;
- And be below the age of 25 at the time of application.
Recipients will be eligible to receive funding for the first year of post-secondary education and will be eligible to receive funding each year for up to a total of four years of undergraduate studies.
Please note that there is no application form.
First time applicants are required to submit a letter of application (maximum 500 words) that includes the following information:
- Biographical profile;
- Personal and career goals;
- Academic and community activities (in particular, non-school based community activities will be recognized);
- Engagement with social or political issues;
- And details of the proposed course of post-secondary study.
The following supporting documents are required to be submitted with the application:
- Transcripts of final marks for school Grades 11 and 12
- Three letters of reference: a letter from the member of the applicant’s community, a letter from a science teacher, and a letter from the applicant’s school which includes an endorsement from a counselor or administrator that the student has a financial need.
Applicants are welcome to submit additional letters of reference. All letters of reference shall include contact information for the referee.
Existing recipients are required to re-apply each year and demonstrate they have maintained an acceptable academic standard. Transcripts of marks for previous semesters are required, as are details of the next year’s study.
*The Amy Hurn Scholarship Fund will begin accepting applications April 1, 2021
Applications should be received prior to 5 pm, June 30 to:
By email: email@example.com (preferred)
The Amy Hurn Scholarship Fund
#203 - 3102 Main St.
Successful applicants will be notified by July 30.